Today's Hot

Eastport, located on Moose Island, has a resident population of approximately 2,000 people. It is the Easternmost city in the continental United States and was incorporated in 1798 (at that time, its geographic limits included the town of Lubec). In the War of 1812, Eastport was taken by the British and held for four years after the Treaty of Ghent which ended the war. This was the last land held in the U.S. by Great Britain.

In the 1870's, fish canning first started in this country and it all began in Eastport. Copied from a French process, the canned American sardines became immensely popular. Lobsters were also plentiful at that time and were also canned, although to a lesser extent than the sardine. William Martin, an Eastporter, started the first canning operation at his wharf, called Martin's Dock -- the very site where the Eastport Lobster and Fish Company stands today. When the great fire swept through Eastport in 1886, eliminating much of the waterfront area, this property was spared. During the early part of the 1900's, Mr. J.W.Beardsley became the new owner and operator of Martin's Dock, and, thus began a new era in the sardine canning industry. By this time, new machinery was being developed, and the workforce became predominantly female. The sardine industry began to disappear in Eastport in the 1960's.

During 1968, the once bustling Beardsley factory, now just an empty building on a wharf, was opened as a restaurant, called The Cannery, by Jack and Betty Stinson. They ran this very popular venture for almost ten years, until Bernie and Michaelyn Cecire came along and took over. The Cecires also ran the restaurant for ten years and happily employed many young people who paid their way through college by working summers here. The restaurant closed in 1989 and became only a memory, until the winter of 1996, when Eastport Lobster and Fish Company purchased the property and committed themselves to the major undertaking of completely renovating and rebuilding all the structures, including the wharf.

The Eastport Lobster and Fish Company operated the wharf and cannery until 2002, at which time a retired Coast Guard and restaurant operator, Robert Del Papa, leased and eventually bought the cannery, renaming it "Eastport Chowder House," along with "Eastport Lobster Co." The theme was to become a family oriented seafood house where all could enjoy.

In 2006, an outside deck was added for customer enjoyment. Many days you can see eagles, dolphins, seals and the most sought-after whales from the dining room or the wharf. Be sure to walk into the Lobster Room on the pier and ask questions about how they are caught, and make sure you ask to see a left-handed lobster...